Friday, May 25, 2012

St. Sophia the Martyr and Physician

St. Sophia the Martyr and Physician - Commemorated May 22 (http://www.saint.gr/photos/standard/0522/AgiaSofiaIatros01.jpg)
   
St. Nikodemos of the Holy Mountain includes the following only in his Great Synaxaristes on St. Sophia:

The Holy Martyr Sophia, the Physician, dies by the sword.

Sophia, being first a physician of bodies,
Being beheaded, shows herself also a healer of spirits.
   
Apolytikion in the Fourth Tone
O Lord Jesus, unto Thee Thy lamb doth cry with a great voice: O my Bridegroom, Thee I love; and seeking Thee, I now contest, and with Thy baptism am crucified and buried. I suffer for Thy sake, that I may reign with Thee; for Thy sake I die, that I may live in Thee: accept me offered out of longing to Thee as a spotless sacrifice. Lord, save our souls through her intercessions, since Thou art great in mercy.

   
Through the prayers of our Holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us and save us! Amen!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Please help me. I`m searching for icons/ church paintings with Saint Sophia the Martyr and Physician for o hospital church that is under construcion. We also need some information abut her life and her akoluthia (vesper, matins). Our church will be under the protecton of Saint Sophia.

Agioi_Anargyroi said...

I applaud your endeavor to learn about and honor the Saints. I have thus far been unable to find more information about the Saint in English or Greek. I also have been unable to find a service to the Saint.

However, there is such a thing as the "General Menaion", comprised of services composed generically to a Male Martyr, a Female Martyr, a Hierarch, etc. You could use the service to a Female Martyr. An English translation of this service is here: http://anastasis.org.uk/wmart.htm.

May God bless your work!